Battle Creek (county trail map, better mtbproject map) is St Paul's mountain biking trail. It’s not only a great trail, it’s accessible by bicycle trail from many directions. Battle Creek MTB Facebook Page: www.facebook.com/battlecreekmountainbike
My preferred starting points from western St Paul:
- Driving to start: Point Douglas Rd S parking lot. Turn east off Hwy 61/10 on Lower Afton Rd, then go north on Point Douglas Rd S to the parking lot at the end of the cul-de-sac. (44°56’07.5"N 93°01'42.8"W)
- Riding to start: Scenic Overlook by Burns Avenue and Hwy 10: 44°56’48.2”N 93°02’19.3”W This small park with the hidden entrance isn’t technically part of Battle Creek. I’ve been told it’s Ramsey county land and not policed by SPPD. In the past few years it’s had more drug trafficking and is not a great place to park or to be at after dark
Notes on the trail systems
There are 3 sections from west to east: 1. From overlook to parking lot (west of Battle Creek). 2. from Battle Creek to Battle Creek Road 3.Battle Creek Road to eastern boundary.
1. overlook to parking lot: there are two advanced options - a in/out spur at the top of paved segment, and a trail that goes across the ridge top to emerge 2/3 of the way up the paved trail along battle creek.
2. Battle Creek to Battle Creek Road: there are 3 routes up from Battle Creek. One is quite technical and is somewhat north. The other is to go up the Berm run. The last is to take Point Douglas road up a few hundred yards to a trail that climbs the bluff.
3. There are two places to cross from section 2 to 3 over S Battle Creek Road.We usually do the northern one. Going down to the Rec Center is a good intermediate descent/climb. At the SouthEast section is a segment sometimes called the Goat Path. It's an advanced descent.
- Rainy day trail alternatives if the mountain bike trails are closed
- Road/Battle Creek combination. Scale with options of in/out spur, luge option, different start point/time